Friday, May 14, 2010

Spinster as Predicted?

For reasons not so wonderful I have had a bit more time on my hands these past few days. I'll avoid that topic, as this is a blog about knitting, and not my personal life. The new time has allowed me to finish the baby owl, or "Owlie" as he is referred to in his pattern. He is a teeny-tiny guy with big eyes.

I decided to go for button eyes this time, to create that big owl eye thing. I am pretty happy with how he turned out. The ears could have used a bit more tweaking but it is by far the easiest toy to knit so far. It took me a little time to figure out how so little knitting could produce an adorable owl but it all seemed to work out in the end.

Here he is, welcoming the world, nestled in some California poppies, and studying to be the big wise owl he is supposed to be. No Nikolas this time, birds and felines don't get along.





Now my only question is, with my nerdy/quirky photo sessions and my newly created friends...have I finally turned into the spinster I have been so desperately trying to avoid becoming? If I learn to crochet doilies, somebody stop me!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely owl! It's funny, but it's my knitting and spinning that has gotten me through the tougher times in my life. There is something about having control over this one aspect while the rest of my life is whirling away that keeps me sane.

    There are pieces of mine that I look at and remember mentally chanting "just keep knitting, just keep knitting..." Others look at them and say "lovely wrap" while I look and remember it as the piece that got me through a particularly hard time.

    We can only control the controllables - and sometimes that's only what's on our needles.

    love,
    marm

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute owl! i want one! but bigger. so i can sleep on him. make it happen.
    and i find that a couple glasses of wine and popcorn for dinner always help!

    ReplyDelete