Saturday, June 5, 2010

Octo-Mom!

Last weekend I went back East for a wedding and to spend time with the family. It was a much needed break from the craziness going on in LA. I also had a knitting motive. I found a pattern for the toy I wanted to make Mickey Mouse and I needed to add a few new techniques to my knitting repertoire. So JJ and I talked beforehand and decided we would make learning how to knit in the round our group lesson.

Marmie sat down with much patience on a hot, humid east coast day. We sat on the front porch, sipping pink lemonade, and trying to handle 4 dpn (double-pointed needles, for those newbies out there.) ;-) Mom did a great job and we each knit a little round nothing, which ended up looking a lot like colorful sushi when we mushed them all together.

I brought my newly found talent back to LA and this weekend I took on the task of remembering the technique and combining it with increasing and decreasing. In addition, I had an opportunity to refresh my crocheting skills when I made the curly legs of the octopus.

Here are the steps in the process, knitting in the round, stuffing the head/body, and adding those curly-q tentacles. Voila! I am now an Octo-Mom, living in LA....but not THAT Octo-Mom.



The only problem with making all these adorable toys for my loved ones is that I get so attached to them and want to keep them, hehe!

Happy knitting!

4 comments:

  1. Love the octo! You are becoming a knitting phenomenon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add that I got this pattern on Ravelry.com from Tricia Keffer's ravelry site. :-) Someday I will create my own patterns. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it. i want one. and a cat to play with it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im going to make this tonight. woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete