Tuesday, June 29, 2010

anything you can do i can do better...havent we already heard this song?

so i love my big sister to bits and pieces. but we've always been a bit competitive, and by we, i mean me. as the little sister i always tried to do everything that my big sis did, however, usually not with my desired outcome. so when lil milla made an octopus for my soon-to-be-named-cutest-baby-in-the-world, i got a bit jealous. my pink tutu was just not enough. i needed to do something. so i decided to completely copy what she made - except in pink! win! (this was my glorious vision....)


so i started knitting up my little pink octo. i think i may have gone 3 stitches before i got completely confused and had to call big sis to ask some questions. in the short time since mom had taught us how to knit in the round, i had completely forgotten. so this was the shiznit that i ended up w...
its all twisted about, nothing making any sense, and the more i tried to get this to work, the more frustrated i got. so i called big sis AGAIN. poor girl really needs to get verizon. after about an hour, a glass of wine, and having to rewind bridehead revisted about 15 times, i finally figured out how to get this started...
after getting more wine, i was excited that i figured out how to knit in the round. the only problem now- going on hour 2 - was that i cant read directions. i was increasing after every single stitch, every single row, instead of changing when i increase on each row. so im not sure what i ended up with after 2 hours, but it was nothing close to what it was supposed to look like, so i had to start over AGAIN. woo hoo. but this time i was much more successful, subjectively. ha. i could see the shape starting, as shown in the pics below, but the further i got along in the process, the more i realized i was making a balloon. thats right. instead of an octo head, i made a child's party balloon. win again.



after successfully making a balloon, i decided to call it a night. octo legs could wait till another night.

the next night to be exact! now i need to preface this with some admitting that i do have some faults- few, but some. and one of those is that i forgot how to crochet when i was 12 years old. as most tweens, i exhausted myself with this skill after making 10 million friendship bracelets. meg told me it was easy and to just google it. my other fault? not owning a computer- that works. so i googled on my super brilliant blackberry. win. i was able to get the gist of the curly cue, the stupid curly cue that looked like nothing (dont worry, pic to follow). so again, meg bailed me out and i was able to perfect 8 little legs.



what is that? really?



so anyways, my journey with my little pink octo was almost complete. just needed to stuff the little guy, attach the legs, and go on my merry way. so now, i would like to introduce you to my brand new little pink octo......

and here she is with my soon-to-be-named-cutest-baby-in-the-world's homemade tutu


so in the end i think i will admit defeat to my big sis. her lil green octo def beats my lil pink octo. but, i learned a lot and now need to get a cat to give my octo to.

next up? learning to knit with circular needles. here's a hint: i already hate it!

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh and smile all day! Great job lil sis! Now let's see some eyeballs out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this posting! I hear your voice in every word. I'm frantically trying to finish up my little girl sweater before she arrives tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete