Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How to Get That Mojo Back

After two major knitting failures (gaiter and itty-bitty grand-daughter sweater), I thought I might take a break from knitting and focus on spinning or gardening or reading quietly in the corner.





That's when I was called in for a knitting emergency! Maggie had decided to make each of her 4th grade students a little something to remember her by. In this case, a knitted eyeball. Specifically, Deborah Boyd's Juggling Eyeballs. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/juggling-eyeballs





She needed 22 made and found herself in a bit of a pickle to finish them all before the last day of school. A quick call home and I completed this:



Ten eyeballs, stuffed with lentils, and ready to be overnighted to Los Angeles.

The task of knitting the same pattern over and over was strangely comforting and I found myself thinking about what else I should start knitting next as each little eyeball was completed.

I wouldn't call it mindless knitting, as I did have to keep checking the pattern for increases and decreases. But it was comfortable knitting. No challenge, no thinking, just having fun making something completely funny.

Thanks, Maggie, for pulling me into this. Now I'm on to my next project. I"ve just downloaded the Traveling Woman Shawl pattern.

love,
marmie

2 comments:

  1. lentils!! so economically sound! if theyre ever in a bind for food just grab an eyeball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm relieved to know that my fiber fatigue is going around. knitting eyeballs is certainly an interesting treatment. i'm hoping that le tour defleece will get me back on track!

    ReplyDelete