Thursday, February 23, 2012

We Can Also...

...Jump on a bandwagon!

Generally I try to steer clear of things that popular culture tells me to do or like.  I think it was all those books I read as a child that told me women should be independent and fierce...god bless the Little Women.  I swore I would never get a cell phone...and broke down after graduating college.  I swore I would never join Facebook (one boring summer in LA changed that...) and Twitter (enter my hopes for owning a bookstore.)  And most recently I got my first ever TV.  Ugh.

"Hey Girl, I would love to pour a glass of wine and cast on
some dpns with you..."  (Mr. Crawley)
But still, there are main stream things that don't generally interest me and the inner Jo March in me is proud.  Then I started hearing about this show...Downton Abbey.  And I thought...yeah, whatever.  Then Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, and a bunch of other literary geeks like me, started promoting a literary Super Bowl.  Their goal was to try and get more people to watch Downton Abbey than the big game where grown ass men hurl themselves at each other.  I started to get a little more interested.

And then finally, after an email from a friend and a girl's weekend away, I was convinced.  My Downton Abbey Marathon was my last day of this past President's Day weekend.  I totally got swept up in the first season (WAHOO for Netflix watch instant on my fancy new TV!) and stayed up way too late watching it.  (And knitting a toy robot for a good friend...) AND THEN I found out that the second season is available on PBS's website FOR FREE!  Good lord, the nerd in me just about flipped my shit.

Hey Girl, you can jump on my bandwagon...
I've had a lot of work to catch up on since my marathon but I am happy to be on this bandwagon.  Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to watch the exciting second season, in which war comes to the Abbey.

Inspired by something "popular" actually being "cool" I decided to see what else is out there.  Yesterday, my math teaching partner and I decided it was time to teach our kids about fractions and probability.  March Madness also happens to be around the corner.  I knew March Madness had something to do with basketball...and brackets...but that is about it.  So my partner schooled me on all the ins and outs and the inner geek in me cried for joy!  My Jeopardy-loving side beamed at all the trivia...my puzzle-loving-brain gushed at the probabilities, stats, and facts.  Could it be?  Something else the cool kids like is fun??!!  So, we are on!  This year I will be filling out my first ever bracket. (Along with 100 students.) GASP!  I know!


Then I heard about this guy Jeremy Lin...don't even get me started on LinSanity...

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love Downton Abbey! Since we got rid of cable, I was also thrilled to see it on the PBS website.

    The only problem is that I keep looking for the little bell to announce to the staff that I'm ready for my coffee and it's not there!

    ReplyDelete