Saturday, October 13, 2012

I LOVE YARN!

Today is I love yarn day.  To celebrate...I'm posting a knitting project and sharing a Yarn book with you.

First, the yarn book.  Extra Yarn is a children's book written by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Jon Klassen.  In the book, Anabelle finds a box of yarn and starts knitting.  She realizes, after knitting a sweater, that she has extra yarn so she knits a sweater for her dog.  Extra yarn....sweaters for the neighbors, then the houses, the trees, the trucks, etc.  All is well until an evil archduke wants to take her box of magical yarn.  I love this book so much, we put some characters from the book in my classroom this year.  Marmie loves this book so much, she said she is giving a copy to everyone she knits something for.  (Lucky folks!)

And now, my knitting.  There has been a serious hiatus from Howe Girls Do Stuff but we have been doing lots.  Marmie and JJ ran in a Dirty Girl run a few weeks back.  JJ is working on a big Christmas order for a friend...lots of scarves and mitts, and I've been working on my project, the Love Robot. 

The beginning, using yarn I inherited when a friend's
mother passed away a few years ago
Many moons ago my friend Brandon asked me to knit him a robot and I decided back in March to get started.  Then, Brandon and his fiance announced they had set a date so my toy robot was about to become the BEST WEDDING GIFT ever.  The wedding was this past week, on Thursday (10-11-12) and in San Diego, not too far from me.  However, with a crazy back to school and travel schedule I was way behind on the little Love Robot.  So, enter two evenings of knitting until 2 am and voila!  A robot was created.  I had a very tiring week but it was so worth it! 

I delivered him to their wedding and I think they like him.  It also helped that the best man wrote a children's book for them in which the two main characters (the best man and the groom) are a monkey-robot and a clown. Best man then asked why I hadn't knitted him a robot...oops!  Now...to find a pattern for a monkey-robot...this should be a good one!

Deflated, waiting for love

Trying out his new-found Love on NJP

Ready to love Brandon and Elisabeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment