Monday, March 1, 2010

Taking this show on the road...

It has been a long time since all of us ladies have blogged, and as JJ has pointed out, a lot has happened. In addition to all that worldly craziness, we three knitters were recently reunited for the funeral of a close friend's father. It was a very sad time for us and admittedly, I just couldn't post anything for awhile.

However, my knitting is progress, albeit slow and steady. Here is the latest update.

Back in February I took my knitting on the road for the first time. My man and I headed to Vegas for the weekend and I thought the 4 hour drive would be a great time to get my knit-on. I made a lot of progress on my striped scarf. See below!

I made a few mistakes along the way but was able to fudge up a fix to make the holes not so noticeable.

The following week I booked a flight to Boston for my April vacation, to visit the friends I moved away from last August. My former assistant principal invited me to come back and visit my old school. I was pretty excited but my excitement grew even more when she suggested I teach my former students how to knit! I am not quite sure where to even start with 20 third-graders but I am pumped to take my show on the road again!

On the heels of this excitement, I showed up to school one Monday morning and a student of mine came in with her own yarn and knitting needles. Inspired by my new hobby, she had asked her grandmother to teach her how to knit. Her first attempt had a few holes but I was so excited to see her progress. It also gave me hope for my future job as a knitting teacher. The best part for the little girl in my class is that she was more focused than I have ever seen her in class. I emailed her mom and said that she should bring her knitting to school every day. Oh boy can that girl knit! I think she has surpassed me in talent at this point. Every day she brings in her bag of projects and knits away while we do our school work. It is a real transformation for this student who couldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes. I believe I have found the cure for students with ADHD! I am so proud of her accomplishments that I took a picture of her first project, just to post here.

So you can see it has been a busy month since I last posted. After my friend's dad passed away it was time to bring my knitting on the road again. The red-eye flight back to the east coast for the funeral took a lot out of me. I slept most of the next day and had a heart-breaking reunion with my friend at the wake. However, my soul never felt more full than when my two knitting ladies and I sat down with a glass of wine, hearts hurting, and brought out our projects to share. We laughed at our blunders, we talked about future projects, and we stitched together the pieces of our souls that needed to be mended.


I boarded the plane back to LA with one project complete, and my mind ready to move on to the next.

When we started this project I knew we would have a lot of fun. I am moved beyond words at how knitting has already formed bonds and relationships that I will cherish forever.

4 comments:

  1. texty mctexterson there. glad we got a pic of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was texting you to say hurry up and make it to new york!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you thought it was just about sticks and string!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who do you think took the pic silly! i was right there!

    ReplyDelete