Sunday, January 24, 2010

Turning my oops into an oooo...

Last night was our house-warming party. My roommate and I have lived in our apartment for over 4 months but we have only recently finished furnishing the apartment. It was a great party for sure, because today I woke up exhausted. I knew that it was the perfect day to pick up my neglected knitting and get my stitch on. I have been avoiding my project because I got to the point where I needed to add a new color. This doesn't seem like a problem but I knew it might take a little more effort than usual, so that first stripe of my scarf has been sitting lonely for about a week.

I decided nothing would be more soothing than getting another stripe on my scarf. I watched a few youtube videos (really, I am not sure if I would be able to knit without youtube!) and referenced my Stitch n Bitch. Badda boom, badda bing, we have color!
As I happily continued in my knitting I thought, "That was sooo easy!" And then I realized that while I was paying all this attention to the color change, I was not paying attention to how many rows I was knitting. I had never finished knitting my first "stripe" and as a result, my first stripe was too short. So now I had to think like a teacher. I always teach my kids to work with their mistakes and turn them into something amazing. (We say, "Turn your oops into an ooooo!" Cheesy, I know.) Should I make all my rows that thin? Or should I try alternating widths? Or maybe start all over? This was a helluva lot more work than I wanted to put into it. So now my knitting goes back to the basket, waiting for another day when I have the energy to make these types of artistic decisions. I can't even imagine what will start to happen when I catch up to the zoolander knitting lessons!

2 comments:

  1. i think you should do random widths. and i also think you should share your nail polish color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the input! the color is Spark (blue) by Sally Hansen (?) :-)

    ReplyDelete